Thứ Tư, 4 tháng 5, 2011

Learn to knit

Cast on

I am often asked this question, and the answer is that I don't have a single preference. That said, the methods I prefer do not include the 'long-tail'.
Which methods do I prefer?
The first method I ever learned was the'knitted cast-on'. This begins with a slip knot onto the left-hand-needle. Knit into the slip knot, just as though it were a stitch, except that the loop that is formed is placed back onto the left-hand-needle. One stitch is now cast-on. Continue in this way, knitting into the leading stitch and putting the loop formed back onto the left-hand-needle, until you have the number of stitches needed. To learn a trick to make the beginning edge of the cast-on row neater, read on.



Knitted cast-on is a nice and neat cast-on, but when I want a tighter cast-on, I use the 'cable cast-on'. This method also begins with a slip knot onto the left-hand-needle. Next, knit into the slip knot - in the usual fashion - but put the loop formed back onto the left-hand-needle. So far, it is just like the 'knitted cast-on'. Here's the difference: to proceed, stick the right-hand-needle between the two leading stitches on the left-hand-needle, rather than into the leading stitch on the left-hand-needle. Draw through a loop to be put back onto the left-hand-needle. This forms a tighter cast-on and it is the only cast-on, in my opinion, appropriate for buttonholes. I also use it at the beginnings of most garments, with the exceptions listed below.
When using these methods, a common question is 'Do I twist the loop before putting it onto the left-hand-needle?' The answer is that it doesn't matter as long as you are consistent.



A third cast-on that I commonly use is the'crochet cast-on', described and demonstrated below. I use it when I want the cast-on to look exactly like the bind off in garments without edgings. Examples would be scarves, shawls, afghans, garter stitch garments. It is not tight enough to be used at the beginnings of a garment which goes immediately into ribbing.

The final cast-on that I use a lot comes as a bit of a surprise. It is the 'e-wrap' or 'backwards loop' cast-on. Begin with the usual slip knot onto the left-hand-needle. Then put your index finger under the yarn, so that the yarn is lying over your index finger from back to front. Turn your index finger to the right and stick the left-hand-needle into the loop formed. Draw the yarn tight with the right hand and the loop then slides onto the left-hand-needle to form a cast-on stitch. This is an elementary cast-on, I know, but it has its uses. I always use it if I am casting on stitches that will go into a seam and I sometimes use it when I will want to pick up stitches later, although the 'crochet cast-on' works in this situation also. The 'e-wrap' doesn't waste yarn into seams, and it leaves nice and easy loops from which to seam and pick up.
The commonly used cast-on that I don't much like is the 'long tail' or 'thumb' cast-on, with apologies to those who prefer it. I don't find it as secure or neat as the knitted cast-on or cable cast-on. I particularly don't like that it leaves knitters ready to work a wrong side (WS) row. As one who writes patterns, I want to be able to assume that everyone is ready to being with a right side (RS) row after casting on. For those who did not realize that the long-tail leaves you ready to work a wrong side row, look at the purl bumps that are immediately formed. They need to go to the wrong side. To do this, just work your first row after the cast-on as if it were a wrong side row.



Finally, what about that slip knot? It's kind of ugly. To tidy it up, after casting on and working one row, take that tail that began the cast-on and pull it out from the first stitch. This removes a loop that is not necessary to your knitting, and your cast-on now begins more neatly.


Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét